Friday, April 9, 2010

The back talking stage and time outs

           This is a very ruff time for both parent and child. Kids get a bit older and they decide they are big enough to tell you no when you tell them to clean their room. They tell you to stop acting childish because you tell them to stop fight with their sister or bother.

             How I am dealing worth this behavior is first telling them to stop, second giving them a warning, and third time out. My kids will come and ask me every five minutes, "Can I come out now." or "I just have to go to the bathroom." or "I'm hungry." or "Can I have something to drink." My reply is no to everything except the bathroom. But remember that they do not have to go to the bathroom every five minutes. My son will tell me he couldn't go. I tell him tough he needs to wait until he is out of time out.

                When you do time outs it's only one minute for each year of their age. A good method to use is getting an area rug like a bathmat size. They can sit, stand, and or lay down. But always pick one spot in the house for time outs. You can use a timer. Outside time outs can be anywhere. Always make it a point to keep track of how many times you have to repeat yourself.

No comments: