Saturday, March 13, 2010

Pick up games

Yes you can teach your baby how to pick up and it's a great game to play with your baby. I started playing the pick up game with my little girl when she was almost a year old. I know so young rite. Well, it's not that hard. At that age you just look for ways to interact with your baby. Some people think it's easier and faster to pick up themselves.

Dinner was to be ready in 20 minutes. I sat on the floor beside her and put her bucket close to her. I said, "Pick up time, Sara bear." Sara looked at me like what. I said, "Pick up this one." She just looked at me. I took her hand and placed it on the block. She grabbed it and looked at me. I pointed to the bucket and moved her hand over the bucket. "Let it go." I told her. She dropped it in and we clapped and said, "Yeah." I helped her by moving her hand to where I wanted it to go. We did that the whole time. The next time we did that was the same day. It was bed time and I did the same thing. But this time I didn't take her hand. I just pointed at the block and she picked it up and put it in the bucket. She loved the game. A couple weeks later. She would dump out the blocks and pick them up and put them back in her bucket. She would clap and say, "Yeah."

If you haven't started and now their four or five years old. You can still teach them to pick up their rooms. You just have to change the way you are doing it. When their rooms are a big mess they cry and ask a million questions and have to go to the bathroom or their hungry. Anything and everything to get out of cleaning. We lived with my mother-in-law for awhile and one day she was trying to get my son to clean his room. He gave her a hard time over it. I told her I had a new way of doing it. He got so excited thinking I was going to do it for him. I told, "No. You are going to clean your room by yourself." He gave me a dirty look. I just smalled and asked my mother-in-law for an empty laundry basket. I gave it to him and told him to go and put all his dirty close in it and I was going to time him. After he came back with it. I told him to go and put all his books back on the shelf. After that I told him to go and put all his toys back in his toy box. He comes running in there saying, "Mom I'm almost done with my room." He didn't need me to say anything else.

No comments: